Sunday, October 7, 2007

Chinese Cinderella



Ok, I'm finally going to start reading my first independent reading book, its call Chinese Cinderella. This book is basically an autobiography of the author's life as she was growing up, struggling with her stepmother's cruelty, her dad's forgetful attitude towards her, and her sibling's hate, whether biological or half. It was a reality that "she was denied carfare, frequently forgotten at school at the end of the day, and whipped for daring to attend a classmate's birthday party against Niang's (stepmother, but meaning "mother") wishes. Her father even forgets her name when filling out her school enrollment record" (Amazon). In the mist of all this neglect and torture, the only comfort she could depend on was her love for learning and reading. Eventually, by working hard and persevering did this unfortunate little girl captured a big dream; having her father notice and be proud of her and having an opportunity like her brothers to be going to study abroad in England.

I chose this book because it was a role model I could look up to, someone to inspire me in my journey towards a successful path in my life. I am also infatuated with my own culture, but it's hard to learn anything about it when you live don't live in China, everything you learn in school is basically all European or American related. Although I can proudly say that I am very familiar with my culture due to my parents and grandmother, I still have this hunger to learn more. I don't want to be Chinese, but forget about my identity due to the fact that I live in America. Yet, I am ever- grateful for having such an opportunity to embrace and be apart of both such different and incredible cultures.

3 comments:

Gabstaa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabstaa said...

Hey There!
This book seems to be very interesting. I'm looking foward to some thought provoking entries. I am also fascinated by a culture. It's not mine, but I try to make it my own. I love Egypt and all this related. For graduation gift, I want to experience the pyramids myself and see all of the good things Cairo and other cities in Egypt can offer me. I do bellydancing, and love arabic music. So, yeah, I relate to you when it comes to wanting to learn more and more about a culture.

One part that I see about the book that can translate into any culture is "Eventually, by working hard and persevering did this unfortunate little girl captured a big dream; having her father notice and be proud of her and having an opportunity like her brothers to be going to study abroad in England." I think that the father-daughter-bonding-experience is a current theme shared by many books and also people. It would be interesting to see how that turns out.

Well, it was nice sharing some of my thoughts, and just so you know (as if you didn't already) I am your blog buddy.I'm looking foward to more!!

Bataan v3 said...

I chose the same book for my independent reading project too. Right now, I'm currently reading Empress the Novel, by Shan Sha. Maybe I should quickly try to finish it so I can start this one. It'll be just like a book club!